Saturday, December 20, 2008

Use of Cell Phones and Cycling Safety

Bike Fort Collins has begun a campaign to educate citizens and decision makers about the dangers of using a cell phone while driving a 5,000 lb. vehicle on City streets. Have a look at their web page on the issue.

The goal is to make motorists aware of the danger they present to cyclists when distracted by their cell phone. In a "real" bike town, motorists would be aware of this. We're working on it in Fort Collins. Should city council ban the use of cell phones while operating a motor vehicle? Answer our poll to the left.

1 comment:

Garry said...

After reading the recent studies and having a career history in traffic safety, I know I should endorse a full ban, but... I'm not sure that will make it into the statutes. I do endorse a 'hands free' cell phone requirement, and absolutely no text or other electronic device useage while a vehicle is in motion. I find it extremely irritating that cell phone users seem to think they are excused from using turn signals, which is illegal. As a sidenote, I have witnessed a few bicyclists also using cell phones... get yourselves a bluetooth, please.

While we're at it, in my experience, eye contact is very valuable to all road users; tinted windows should be banned as well.